Nobody has a added arresting articulation on mistakes in web architecture than Vincent Flanders. He runs an online business called: “Web Pages that Suck.” (Let’s alarm it WPTS.) It’s crude, it’s rude, and it’s uppity. But by cartoon a adamant bean on bad web architecture and content, the keys to a acceptable website become absolutely simple to see.
Here is the #1 bigger aberration WPTS drives home: 1. assertive humans affliction about you and your website. He’s assimilate something. How generally do you acquisition a business cogent you what to anticipate about them? You’ve apparent the claims: “We’re your experts in X Y and Z.” “Our site’s mission is to advance the best [blah banausic blah]…” “Let me appearance you what I can do for you”
Sure, if you’re searching, you wish to acquisition the best products, casework and sources. But you wish what’s best in your terms. Not the seller’s.
Jakob Nielsen is a continued time able on the science of authoritative web sites useful. Of his “Top 10 Mistakes in web Design” (link below), he includes “not answering user’s questions.”
Check your content. Who is it about? Who is it for? If your acknowledgment to both isn’t “the customer,” again it’s time for some basal fixes.
5 Questions that appearance you if you’re about you or your customer:
1) What botheration is your chump ambidextrous with?
2) How do humans with this botheration alarm it?
3) Where do you use the words in #2 on your website? (“Page Title” have to be in your answer.)
4) Calculation how abounding times you say “you” in your web copy. Now calculation how abounding times you say “I” or “we”. If the “you’s” are fewer, your archetype is apparently about you, and isn’t acceptable to appoint your readers.
5) What is the account akin of your copy? If it’s aloft 8th grade, analysis out of the ivory tower. Write for the arena floor. If humans don’t get it fast, they will not buy it. (Check your account affluence here: http://juicystudio.com/services/readability.php
For a added aboveboard access to web architecture mistakes to fix, Jakob Nielsen’s “Top 10 Mistakes in Web Design” is a abundant resource: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9605.html
It’s all about the bigger apple you actualize for others
Your barter are humans who wish information, a product, to donate, to learn, or accompany in something.
So that’s what your agreeable and architecture should deliver. Help. Answer. Entertain. Do what you say you do best.
Care a lot of about giving what your bazaar is searching for.
To fix the bigger aberration in web design, accomplish abiding there’s no agnosticism you’re about what your humans need.